Friday, September 4, 2009

Barenaked Ladies - 1991-06-15 - Toronto, ON


Barenaked Ladies
1991-06-15
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
FM Broadcast, very good quality
mp3 @ 320 kbps
No Artwork


Sorry about the long time since the last post, but I've been on extended travel and vacation, and did not have access to the internet for most of that time. Anyway, after posting such fun groups as the Fab Poodles and Deaf School, I thought I would continue with who I think is the most fun rock band of all time, the Barenaked Ladies. Their music is fun, clever, and witty, their shows are fun, and they always seem to be having great fun performing their music. However, these guys are not only about fun, they are also great musicians, with great songs that are highly diverse and reflect many different styles and influences. They have grown and developed (and possibly matured?) as musicians, songwriters, and performers over the years, and have put out surprisingly strong, articulate, and nuanced performances and songs on their later releases (Such as the Are Me and Are Men albums). Thus, they have become another one of my favorite bands. In their early days, they were known as sarcastic, irreverent, smart-alecks, and were all about just having fun. Here is a concert from those wilder early days of the group, from May 1991, several months before their first major album, Gordon was released in 1992 (They had only a couple of self-produced indie tapes at this point). It is a wild, raucous, talkative, and almost out-of-control show (as they can barely contain themselves), with the 'ladies' featuring a number of tongue-in-cheek covers (everything from Prince and Madonna to rap and NWA), several other early original but never-released songs, as well as numerous songs that would appear on their first album. This well-recorded radio broadcast gives a good glimpse of the somewhat chaotic early shows by the band. I believe I originally got this from Nathan's Rock Moat, so thanks Wolfsbane.

Tracklist:
01-Hello City
02-Blame It On Me
03-Crazy - Fox On The Run
04-When Doves Cry
05-Fight The Power
06-Wrap Your Arms Around Me
07-Be My Yoko Ono
08-Brian Wilson
09-Medley
10-Skinhead
11-I Love It Loud
12-I Couldn't Care Care Less
13-Still Ill
14-New Kid (On The Block)
15-Joseph Brown
16-I Still Miss Someone (Blue Eyes)
17-Trouble With Tracy
18-If I Had $1,000,000
19-Material Girl
20-The King of Bedside Manor
21-Make My Heart Fly

New Link! (Updated 07/05/20)

2 comments:

dugg said...

Fabulous... I saw the Lades perform in a small club in Vancouver around ths rime, and they were amazing- smart, funny and brilliant chops for such a young band.
Thanks for the chance to hear this!!!!
d

thenotunnameless@yahoo.com said...

Could you please share this one again?